purple child

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

26th December 2004

There is life and then there is death. And am ok with both because thats life. But sunday the 26th of December was bad. Sunday after christmas. After a nice party where I got drunk.
unday's are usually dull and boring, not to mention slow and very sleepy. Even in a tv newsroom.
But last sunday was a disaster. The day tsunami came knocking on India's coast and swept away 12,000 people. The earthquake in Indonesia that unleashed the fury of the ocean.


When I left office that day I was exhausted. Because I had never seen so many dead bodies. raw footage. cut vo's . Translating tears into words. When I left office that day the total number of people dead in South Asia was 8000, today the total figure has crossed 1.5 million and whats worse it just doesn't seem to stop.

All in a week. Dead, devastated and destroyed. In Sri Lanka alone more than 40,000 people have died.
Imagine waking up one morning and losing your whole life and everything in it.

I have never heard of an earthquake measuring 8.9 on the richter scale. Perhaps the earthquake in Pompeii? Must cross check on that one.

So new year was very sombre. I did not even touch alcohol, just sat at home and watched TV.
I have very rarely partied during new years. The year gone by ended with atleast 2.5 million people dead or homeless or grief stricken.

Its sunday again and as usual (thank God ) nothing has happened so far.
Its dull and boring and no one's complaining.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home